Monday, July 11, 2011

Marvelous Mondays | 31 Bits

I think it's no secret to anyone who knows me even remotely well that I love jewelry and accessories. It doesn't seem to matter how much I have of any one kind - earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings - if I come across a great item that would add wonderfully to the family of jewelry I already have, I happily integrate it in. So, being that I have this love for fun accessories, I enjoy spending time on google, etsy, ebay and others, searching for fun, new finds (even if just to ooh and ahh over them). But I was especially happy to stumble upon 31 Bits when a fellow photographer recently recommended it to a bride looking for jewelry for her wedding day.

31bits

Upon first clicking on the site the images of beautiful, colorful jewelry instantly caught my attention - as did the type of bead used in each piece. I immediately recognized it as the same type used in a necklace that a friend had gotten from Africa and given to me a couple years ago. So, much to my surprise (and pleasure) I realized that this company not only designs beautiful pieces of jewelry, but for a great purpose. Here's a snippet of what's written in the "about" section:

Kallie Dovel traveled to Uganda in the summer of 2007, getting a first- hand look at life in Northern Uganda. While she was there, she met women making paper beads but who lacked a plan to market and sell them. After spending time in their homes and hearing their stories, Kallie knew there had to be a way to give opportunities to her new friends. She brought a box of jewelry back to the U.S., and spent the next year finishing her degree and dreaming up the concept of a development organization. She brought a few friends on board and her ideas quickly evolved into 31 Bits. The girls traveled back to Uganda in August 2008, and selected six women to begin buying jewelry from on a monthly basis. Since then, we have grown to 63 women; each with a unique story of suffering that has been overcome with joy and liberation.

I absolutely love the fact that I could be supporting someone continents away simply with the purchase of a fabulous bracelet or necklace. (I currently have my eye on the Sunkissed necklace... :) I love the purpose and vision of this business and just wanted to share it with all of you as my latest and favorite (and affordable) marvelous find!


No comments:

Post a Comment